Frequently Asked Questions For Tax Law Issues

calculatorAttorney Angelique M. Neal has more than more than 15 years of experience advising and representing clients in state and federal tax law matters of all complexities. Below are some of the most common questions people have when under investigation for a tax matter. Every tax audit, appeal and litigation case is different. Call the Law Firm of Angelique M. Neal, PLC, in Brighton, Michigan, to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your particular circumstances. Ms. Neal represents clients in state tax matters throughout Michigan and federal tax cases throughout the Midwest and United States.

When Do I Need a Tax Lawyer?

Consider hiring a tax lawyer if the IRS:

  • Denies the amount of refund you claim
  • Notifies you of an investigation into your exemptions, credits or deductions
  • Notifies you of an investigation into civil tax fraud
  • Begins an investigation into criminal tax fraud
  • Is holding you personally responsible as an officer for corporate tax liabilities
  • You are an innocent spouse of a person being charged with civil or criminal tax fraud
  • You are a board member of a not-for-profit organization facing an investigation
  • The IRS says you failed to pay sufficient taxes on a lawsuit settlement
  • You are being investigated for evasion of taxes on gambling winnings
  • All other matters related to federal income or business tax investigations, audits and collections

Will the IRS treat my case more harshly if I have a lawyer?

No, as a taxpayer, you have every right to legal representation. The IRS has lawyers working on their investigations and they understand and should expect taxpayers to exercise their right to protect their rights and interests during an investigation, audit or litigation matter.

My investigation isn't going well because the IRS employee is unreasonable. Can I petition to have my matter transferred to a different IRS agent for review?

Getting your case transferred is difficult, however the system allows for opportunities to appeal the decision. If the IRS agent isn't reasonable, chances are there will be some grounds for a successful appeal.

I am facing a criminal tax penalty for fraud. What is the difference between a criminal tax penalty and a civil tax penalty?

A criminal tax penalty means that the IRS is accusing you of intentionally breaking a U.S. or state tax law. Penalties can include time in jail, and or monetary fines. The same conduct may be grounds for civil tax fraud. The difference is that for civil tax matters, you won't go to jail but you could be liable for a 75 percent penalty.

I have the opportunity to appeal my case in the United States Tax Court. Is that run by the IRS?

The U.S. Tax Court in Washington, D.C., is not part of the IRS. Congress established the U.S. Tax Court as a means for trying tax cases. Tax Court judges preside at trials in 60 U.S. cities throughout the United States.

Can't I just work out a deal that works for me and the IRS?

That is the reason you will want an experienced attorney at your side. Without knowing what the IRS will accept in an offer in compromise, you may end up thinking your final workout is the best you can do. The IRS agent isn't going to be on your side. Aggressive representation will often result in a greatly reduced amount of taxes, penalties and interest owed.

For more answers to your tax questions, contact the Law Offices of Angelique M. Neal, PLC. From offices in Brighton, Michigan, Ms. Neal represents clients throughout the state, the Midwest and the United States. Wherever you are, call toll free 888-351-8395 or contact the firm by e-mail to arrange a consultation with an experienced IRS tax attorney.